IDS mailing list archives

RE: Are sophisticated attacks just FUD?

From: drbitbucket () comcast net
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:57:21 +0000

No, he's right.  But you need better toys to detect those sophisticated attacks anyway :)
I see IPS products as catching things that you could put your finger on via an IDS (or log input and the like) and do
something about it (for low false positive rates).  There's a small category of attacks that typically fall into that
category, with minimal false positives.  Most of those are web-based attacks; worms, viruses, Trojans, and other easily
identifiable attacks.

Sophisticated attacks are often quiet and involve the exploitation of some trust relationship.  For example, if someone
is collaborating with another organization and uses replayable authentication (i.e. reusable passwords), then a
compromise in the other organization could yield a password that might work elsewhere.  Then the legitimate account is
used to gain access, then privilege escalation after that.  These are very hard to detect.  You might get lucky if you
can catch the intruder transfering an exploit or rootkit in the clear or an observant user if the intruder is sloppy.
But in order to do that level of detection, you need some broad IDS signatures that can be tuned using, perhaps,
content-based filtering.

Jon Repaci, GCIA, CISSP