IDS mailing list archives

RE: Are sophisticated attacks just FUD?

From: "Keith T. Morgan" <keith.morgan () terradon com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:08:54 -0400

I think you need to look no further than the recent IIS/IE worm which
used a multi-vector attack.  AFAIK, it exploited MS-0411, and then
vulnerabilities in browsers.

So I think the detection of multi-vector attacks is a critical issue.
This is typically done via event correlation.  The sophisticated threats
are out there, and are very real.  I think the question of the day is do
IDS/IPS type solutions properly identify them.  I tend to think that
event correlation is the real defense against these sophisticated
threats.  Preferably in realtime.  I'm quite unconvinced that there's
any software out there capable of doing event correlation on an
automated basis.  This seems to require two things: 1. The tools to
effectively mine and distill event data, and 2. A logical, thinking,
knowledgeable human being to enterpret the data.  I truly believe that
TRUE intrusion detection prevention will *only* be effective when
performed by human beings using good tools.

Sophisticated multi-vector attacks are becoming more common.  We've used
them in penetration testing sucessfully, so if we can do it.....

Would an IPS detect and react?  I haven't played enough in a lab to
determine that. Did they do that in the case of this latest worm?
Enquiring minds want to know.