IDS mailing list archives

Re: Are sophisticated attacks just FUD?

From: Brian Lund <brianlund () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:56:48 -0700

While I don't have any research at hand, I'm almost certain any such
research would show the vast majority of "attacks" are script kiddies
trying to exploit some Windows hole using a widespread attack tool
written by someone else.  You will have a very hard time proving that
any significant percentage of attacks are carried out by a
sophisticated attacker, because it's almost certainly not true.

That doesn't mean sophisticated attacks are FUD from tool companies
looking to sell their latest wares, however.  A good (or even
average) network will shrug off hundreds or thousands of "attacks"
from script kiddies per day.  But it only takes one sophisticated
attack to possibly put your business, well, out of business.  In this
case, your boss is missing the point.  It's not how many times you
are attacked by a sophisticated attacker, but how many successful
attacks can your business afford?  If the number is zero, those tools
are worth the money.

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:12:02 -0700 (PDT), Sam Heshbon