Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS & Firewalls

From: Chris Blask <chris () blask org>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 11:45:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jim,

Jim Seymour <jseymour () linxnet com>, Monday, April 6, 2009 9:25:55 AM
Bill McGee <bam () cisco com> wrote:

.d.
It'd be a damn sight nicer than living in the world in which we
currently find ourselves, where, due to vendor irresponsibility and
end-user cluelessness (encouraged by said vendors, IMO), the concept of
"network security" has become a joke.

Responsibility and cluelessness are not things that I will go out of my way to let anyone off for, but the subtext
"encouraged by said vendors, IMO" I have to poke a stick at.  Maybe there rally are some evil crafty cunning and
skilled vendors out there who are manipulating all of this over Beluga caviar, Havana cigars, monocoles and really evil
laughs, but my experience working at these vendors is that any vendor culpability is much more rooted in the standard
SNAFU background radiation that underlies human endeavor.  To achieve the foundation for endemicly secure design,
engineering, impelementation and operation of one (1) Global Internet (with "Attached Private Networks" option!) is
really really really hard and would require a great deal of effort and resource which has (a) not been spent, (b) won't
be spent for a lot of boringly pedantic reasons and (c) would probably be SNAFUed by reality (Bobby Shaftoe would put
it more colorfully) and not work,
 anyway.

.d.
What Marcus is promoting isn't "wide-eyed idealism," it's reality.
That reality being there's no such thing as "kind of secure."  It's either
secure or it's not.  You, and those who believe, or purport to
believe, as you do are promoting "good enough."  Well, half-way
measures are *not* "good enough," *never* have been "good enough" and
never *will* be "good enough."

I have to disagree.  There is very much a "kind of secure" and there is by no means any such thing as "secure".
"Security" is a mirage - our Fiddlers' Green - to be approached indefinitely but never arrived at.  The question is
never "how would you like your system secured from all potential intruders?" but rather "how much resource are you
willing to spend increasing your system's security from where it is at the moment?"  Your network is secure as (for
example) your ability to resist Van Eck Phreaking of your users' monitors, keep them from coming in with pinhole
cameras in their shirts to tape everything on their screens, and lock down their brains.

As always, I am not saying that it is not worthwhile and effective to fight the good fight nor that any of us should
take our responsiblities lightly - it is and we should.  But this is the same old purist vs. pragmatist argument and
nothing has ever changed to make me think there is any pure solution to be had.  Even the very best Underground
Black-Ops Government Datacenter will only incrementally creep closer to being all-caps "secure" and the rest of us will
continue to live in a world that is somewhere short of that.

-chris