Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS & Firewalls

From: Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 09:34:10 -0500

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Mark <firewalladmin () bellsouth net> wrote:
Brian Loe wrote:
" What I would VERY MUCH LIKE is a "checklist" like the first set of
instructions I got for (well, it's late and I can't remember the
acronym - and it's since been changed anyway - DoD crap)...."

Oh let me guess! Is it the STIG? Security Technical Implementation Guide? Oh
and now we have the infamous "DISA Gold" which will hit you with a bunch of
CAT 1&2 findings if the system is actually supposed to work. I've also
noticed that between the STIG's, checklists (there are checklists in
addition to the STIG and they are simply called Windows XP Security
Checklist or Desktop Applications Security checklist, etc.) and FDCC there
are conflicting security measures, making it impossible to ever be "fully"
compliant. I will site a simple example that I recall from the top of my
not-yet-balding head (paraphrased, not quoted):

I never made it through an audit with those criteria so I don't know
how it would go. But I like that the "standard" I'm supposed to adhere
to is specific and comes with its own checklist. I can either do it or
know that I need to write an exception.

The example finding you quoted would have made for entertaining
exceptions, no doubt.

I'm currently going through my second internal/external SOX audit. I
find them equally useless so far as real security goes but you do have
the benefit of the good cop/bad cop thing where they can at least
advise you on where you need to bring your game up.