Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS & Firewalls

From: Bill McGee <bam () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:23:17 -0600

Yikes!

Wouldn¹t it be nice if we all lived in Marcus¹ world? Perhaps we ought to
just mandate that everyone scrap their current networks and have Mr. Ranum
come in and redesign them from the ground up. We would clearly end this
issue of security breaches once and for all.

In the meantime, we really ought to be helping folks move from WHERE THEY
ARE to WHERE THEY NEED TO BE, even if it¹s in incremental baby steps, based
on ability, budget, and sensitivity to risk. This is the world that Chris
and I live in, and until Marcus¹ parallel universe overtakes our own, this
is the battle we all must fight.

Is that a nod for mediocrity? Hardly. The reality is that, incompetent or
not, many IT managers are doing the best they can with what they have, with
real constraints on what they can do next, and need our help within that
context. Short of a Ranum dictatorship, we really need to recognize that
wide-eyed idealism, however well-intentioned, is never a reasonable
replacement for dealing with the vagaries of the reality we actually
inhabit.

-bill