Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS & Firewalls

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 22:51:55 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Chris Blask wrote:

No- the fine is what does that, the DSS is just the artifact with which to
do it.  However as a "Standard" it's worse than ICSA Firewall testing
criteria! ;-P

Now, Al's being nice to me, how can I respond to that?  Keep walking, nothing to see here!

That's just me poking fun at Al - my fingers got into that pie too when I
was at TruSecure...

We have to keep in mind that we aren't just talking about securing
networks where they have a Paul Analog (PA) on staff.  Even where they
do have a PA on staff, most often he is banging his head against a brick
wall of corporate resource management.  A good PA (or a good PCI
consultant, QSA, whathaveyou) seizes on the opportunity to leverage the
attention of the Great Purse Holders and have them pour some cash on
worthy efforts that make the network more secure than it was previously.

Once again, that doesn't relieve the PCI DSS folks of their responsibility
to do a good job[tm].  See the posting from Victor Williams to see what
folly lies in the obvious stuff that most of us came up with in minutes
about where the flaws lie.

In fact, the fact that you don't have a PA means that training the staff
that's there is more important, not less important- and one way to do that
is with well-written, detailed and intelligent criteria.

The pouring cash on the problem thing is solved contractually with the
fines- again, that's not germain to how poorly thought-out and written the
criteria are.

*cough*
Isn't Verizon a QSA?
*cough*

You should really get that looked at, it could turn into pneumonia...

It's already laryngitis :(

Paul