Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS & Firewalls

From: Chris Myers <clmmacunix () charter net>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:49:00 -0500

Great Discussion, too long to recall all I would like to respond to.

I only have to say that it is not the law, so a standard is a guide. Although some politicians have found glory from the constituency by making it a states right. The most ignorant of which could not tell you why PCI is important at all. Three-Fourths of the standard can be left unread and done away with through good engineering, and the last quarter of which is to bring layman's terms to the real culprit in the security breach, the executive.

1. Anyone in charge of a companies security should know the architecture and every project going on from development and testing to install. Why pay a CSO if he and his team of underlings does not?

2. Any hole that is not base upon that architecture, development and install should be closed, regardless of anyones opinion or preferred habits.

3. Anyone who is installing or developing something that shows up on a pen test that is legitimately revealed by a pen test should call the unemployment office, if it is not on the radar of a process and company security plan. Which is why I am in some favor of a full blown pen test, but agree it should be unnecessary and targeted, I refer back to item one.

4. QSA's should get their ring of fame, but are misappropriated because of the depravity of man. If an audit shows the same breach due to the executive who refuses to close the hole because of his preferred ignorance, the Security team should retain their budgeted number for the cost of the QSA and the cost should come out of the operational budget/executive fun fund.

5. Standards that are forced, like PCI has been so egregiously forced by law of the ignorant, as if it were a law, are doomed to fail when the intent is only to give self regulation and a standard, before the federal dupes in Washington get their professional lawyer hands on our compliance. So I try to take it easy on the PCI DSS, but agree it is not the Declaration of Independence.

Chris Myers
clmmacunix () charter net

John 1:17
For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.

   Go Vols!!!!