Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls that generate new packets..

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:49:35 -0500

ZOMG! That's true, they are not crappy.

Of course, if they are popularized and marketed as disruptive technologies they will be "enhanced" and will devolve to crappy quite rapidly and join the crappy club of HTTP/SIP/SNMP/SMTP/FTP/SSH/IPSEC...

jdgorin () computer org wrote:
Hi Dave,

That's an easy challenge to answer:
 RFC 862 - ECHO Protocol
 RFC 863 - DISCARD Protocol
 RFC 864 - CHARGEN Protocol

Those protocols are not crappy ;-)
But, you can do nasty things with them...

JDG

Dave Piscitello wrote:

LOLZ

I can quickly identify LOTS of crappy protocols running over
TCP/IP and UDP/IP.

Give me an example of one you think is *not* crappy:-)

Paul Melson wrote:
The downside is that this can break crappy protocols (or
even normal protocols in the case of a misconfigured firewall).