Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls that generate new packets..

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 21:09:22 -0500

Not certain what you mean when you limit the discussion to Internet-enabled software vendors but I am pretty certain that everyone who runs an SSL VPN is running a proxy of some sort.

Aren't many VoIP-aware firewalls glorified SIP proxies that try to make SIP secure in the absence of anything in the session initiation protocol that one might consider a security feature? If I recall, SIP is one of the many IETF protocols that has a "Security" section that says, "yep, there are security issues with this protocol but hey, never let security stand in the way of a disruptive technology..."