Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls that generate new packets..

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:56:42 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Bill McGee (bam) wrote:

Yes, PIX/ASA has a different OS tham IOS. That's on purpose. Lots of
folks have policies which require that their security is different from
their infrastructure. Of course, we also offer the IOS Firewall, which
is another Enterprise-Class firewall with full routing functionality.

Come on Bill, that's about the biggest load of revisionist history since
someone tried to hand Checkpoint an award for inventing the firewall!  PIX
has a different OS becauase it was an acquired product- and it started on
a different platform (x86) with a different OS (Phoenix.)  While Cisco's
been IOSing it over time it started different because it wasn't a Cisco
product.

Senior Marketing Manager

Marketing spin?  Sheesh!

Paul