Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The home user problem returns

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:39:53 -0400 (EDT)

hermit921 <hermit921 () yahoo com> wrote:

[snip]

On the good side, I have a friend who is almost totally computer
illiterate, but has never had a virus or spyware or any other malware.
Rule #1: never double click any attachment.  If you have to open it, choose
a program that should open that type of file and do a File -> Open.
Blindly following these rules has kept her safe for over 10 years.  So I
know people can learn, at least by rote, regardless of understanding.
Rule #2: never use Microsoft software.  This probably helps an immense
amount, too.
[snip]

Your friend could be my wife.  WinXP (home edition) for some three
years or so.  (She *insisted* on having a 'doze PeeCee.) OE was
*immediately* removed from the desktop and replaced with Pegasus.  IE
was *immediately* de-fanged (turned off all the ActiveTrojan stuff),
then used to fetch Mozilla.  Wife was told "Use this.  Use the other
only if this doesn't work.") Computer's behind a "firewall router"
(configured by your's truly, naturally).  Same aggressive mail server
filtering rules as at work.  I only a week or two ago finally broke
down and put AV software on it, because one of her correspondents
insisted my wife was sending her infected JPEGs.  (She wasn't.)  She
has had SpyBot S&D for some time, and uses it religiously.

It can be done.  I've seen it with my own eyes.

Jim