Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Ok, so now we have a firewall, we're safe, right?

From: "Tina Bird" <tbird () precision-guesswork com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:50:01 -0700

      So increasing security awareness isn't directly
relevant to firewall
technology ...in the hardware sense.  But if not us, who?  If
not now,
when?

If user education was going to make the difference, humans would all
exercise regularly, eat their vegetables, and practice safe sex. We can't
fix the problem by educating folks, because we've been *doing* education (in
a number of different ways) for a long time, and if it was going to work, it
would have.

Whatever it is that we're trying to fix, I think the answer is to accept
that we're dealing with issues of human nature, not technology. Any solution
based on humans doing the right thing (like working out, skipping dessert
for more veggies, and not reading pr0n on the Internet) is doomed to
failure. So I like solutions that help me to protect myself against the
lowest common denominator: firewalled enclaves that protect really sensitive
data; encrypted harddrives on laptops; endpoint inspection and
context-sensitive access control...