Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Ok, so now we have a firewall, we're safe, right?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:33:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Fritz Ames wrote:

Ben,
      Along with the part that stays the same is the part about getting a
business to change its approach to security, or, "How does the security
zealot at the company sell their position?"  Sure it sells faster
(somewhat, and for a little while) when there is a traumatic event, but
then the large-scale traumatic events, as you pointed out, have been
mere nuisances to-date.  How does our hero pitch the solution to
preventing anihilation by the

But you almost have to use the events to sell your approach.  Done well,
that's how you get buy-in for a security program, and then you can do all
the fire prevention you can justify...

"Code-Red-that-steals-your-data-nukes-your-hard-drive-and-then-steals-your-wife,-and-unplugs-the-fridge
on-the-way-out" trojan?
      It's the  same old problem.  "Here's your new fire extinguisher
budget..."  I get the sense that *really* going after the education of

Well, you know Halon is really better than that water stuff... my
extinguisher vendor told me so!  Oh, no- what MSDS, what pregnant
employee?

their way into our minds.)  There's got to be some kind of candy to lure
people in to like learning it.

2 weeks- if I recall correctly, that's the average time that password
policies stick with average workers.  Education isn't going to do it.
"Breaking" functionality is the real first step, *then* deal with
education for things you can't break properly...  but get insurance.

      So increasing security awareness isn't directly relevant to firewall
technology ...in the hardware sense.  But if not us, who?  If not now,
when?  Ah!  To heck with it.  I can't make it work if better minds than
mine haven't succeeded in this area.  Please pass the fire extinguisher...

All we can do is do all we can.  But not doing all we can isn't good
enough.

Paul