Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Ok, so now we have a firewall, we're safe, right?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:07:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 May 2005, Carson Gaspar wrote:

[ Industrial espionage via emailed trojan code ]

--On Monday, May 30, 2005 12:18:05 PM -0400 "Paul D. Robertson"
<paul () compuwar net> wrote:

If ever there were a wakeup call for people to start analyzing their
firewall logs, this is it-  nobody at any of the companies involved
figured this out due to firewall logs, an author figured it out because
their unpublished book was leaking.

Huh? Their firewalls allowed executable attachments to be delivered from
unknown sources to people uneducated enough to click on them. Said
firewalls failed. Examining the logs may have alerted them sooner, but
that's closing the barn door long after the horses have escaped and
trampled the children.

All too true, however at this stage in the game, I'm willing to declare
that a victory!  I also wanted to raise the issue of the out-of-band CD
attacks because I don't think enough people have visited that corner of
the world recently, especially with the cost of USB devices going down
for variations sake...

Paul