Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Ok, so now we have a firewall, we're safe, right?

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:48:59 -0400

[ Industrial espionage via emailed trojan code ]

--On Monday, May 30, 2005 12:18:05 PM -0400 "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net> wrote:

If ever there were a wakeup call for people to start analyzing their
firewall logs, this is it-  nobody at any of the companies involved
figured this out due to firewall logs, an author figured it out because
their unpublished book was leaking.

Huh? Their firewalls allowed executable attachments to be delivered from unknown sources to people uneducated enough to click on them. Said firewalls failed. Examining the logs may have alerted them sooner, but that's closing the barn door long after the horses have escaped and trampled the children.

--
Carson