Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Ok, so now we have a firewall, we're safe, right?

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 04:26:57 -0400

--On Tuesday, May 31, 2005 6:42 PM -0400 Chris Blask <chris () blask org> wrote:

The data and operational ability is there to give visibility into network
activity - it's just a Very Large Numbers problem (but so are Large
Primes, and we just keep building bigger gear to handle it).  Products
exist to do this today, just not many people are using them yet.

That sort of capability doesn't solve all the world's problems, but it
makes a lot of things clearer.

No argument here - I'm all for obsessive log retention and analysis. I just wanted to raise the issue of email attachment attack vectors being stupidly easy to prevent in the general case. There are some nasty corner cases (having to do with MIME ambiguity and encoding bogosity), but they're solvable.

--
Carson