Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Is NAT in OpenBSD PF UPnP enabled or Non UPnP?

From: Siju George <sgeorge.ml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:35:49 +0530

On 5/31/05, Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au> wrote:
From

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/worki01.mspx

I understand that it is possible with UPnP enabled NAT devices.

Is the NAT in PF UPnP enabled??

or could someone tell me how I can accomplish this with OpenBSD.

The only free, unix-based, UPnP implementation is for Linux and iptables,
so your solution is to wipe OpenBSD and install Linux.

When it comes to things like UPnP, there are a lot of luddites in the *BSD
community.  Others of us, who have benefited from it and understand why it
is useful, just don't have time.

Darren

Thankyou so much Darren for your reply :-)

So let me explain the situation.

Is there no BSD firewall capable of letting two users ( with two
differrent computers with 2 differrent IP from the RFC1918 range ) in
the LAN to connect to the Same Windows 2003 on the Internet remote
desktop servers and work on it simultaneously.

The only BSD firewall I have used is PF and the only workaround is to
use an rdr rule to do port forwarding somethinglike.

rdr pass on $ext_if inet proto tcp from $Windows_RDServer to any port
3389 -> $WRD_client1 port 3389

but then only $WRD_client1 will be able to access $Windows_RDServer through PF.

No other computer in the LAN can connect to $Windows_RDServer on the
internet simultaneously because all traffic from it will be forwarded
by the PF firewall to $WRD_client1 port 3389

so may I ask you is there no BSD firewall that is able to do this???

since you know ipfilter in and out may i ask you if it is possible to
do this with ipfilter.

OpenBSD uses ftp-proxy to let in Active FTP traffic through PF.

Is it possible to do something like that in PF? ie. write a Remote
Desktop Proxy for OpenBSD & PF that is able to do this??

if so have you got any suggestions or work arounds??

Thankyou so much once again for taking time to repply to my first mail :-)

kind regards

Siju