Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Ok, so now we have a firewall, we're safe, right?

From: "Bill McGee (bam)" <bam () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:03:03 -0700

This is a classic "perfect world" versus "real world" scenario. I think
Chris Blask nailed it on the head earlier when he said we have to
acknowledge (and live with) the limitations of what we have while
working to build something better. That's a challenge to be taken
individually AND as a collective.

Generally, I preach risk management rather than hard-line security,
because it is language that upper management tends to understand (even
better than ridicule and abuse, plus you tend to not get fired as often
;-)). Maximum risk reduction is always going to be a moving target, but
any reasonable security policy is based on a plan-build-analyze-improve
model that even the most curmudgeonly executives can buy into.

The biggest challenge is that we have to live with the tools (and
budgets) we have, so a holistic approach is always going to be better
than the more common approach of over-investing/over-relying on a single
box with the latest gee-whiz features. This has probably contributed to
more problems than just about anything else, IMO.

Rather than praying/whining/demanding for folks in the security industry
to "get it right," we need to start now by putting (or, in many cases,
simply turning on!) security everywhere (endpoints, gateways, servers,
appliances, routers, switches, what-have-you), get these bits-and-pieces
talking to each other whenever and wherever we can, and at the same time
ensure that our Moms can still download pictures of their grandkids
without having to call us for tech support (I, for one, would REALLY
appreciate that!)

-bill