Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Multiple firewalls from different manufactureres

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:25:06 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Hurst, Dave wrote:

That may be the case for some small shops, but I'm wondering if that's
really the case for organizations that have more complex networks.  If

Sometimes they're worse.  Most of my examples are larger organizations.  I
heard of one that averaged 35 rule changes a day too.

you're segmenting the network into subnets to isolate different parts of
the organization or to contain mobile users, providing secure access for
remote users, connecting geographically distributed locations with VPN
links, providing extranet services to customers, or any of a dozen other
things that are driving complexity in the network infrastructure these
days, then deploying a just single firewall seems untenable.

Yet it seems to meet the "We have a firewall" criterion- then it becomes
"We have a huge, expensive firewall!"  then two...

If folks planned better, they'd have fewer issues, but mostly in large
organizations coordination is a real headache.

Paul