Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Multiple firewalls from different manufactureres

From: "Behm, Jeffrey L." <BehmJL () bvsg com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:02:23 -0600

From Eugene Kuznetsov
Of Keith A. Glass

I just wish some of the vendors
would allow their FW solution to be available outside the
"appliance" vehicle (Yes, I'm talking about Symantec and
Secure Computing. . .)

Hmm, this is pretty interesting, because it's contrary to what I hear
elsewhere. Could you talk about why you would rather get software
instead of
a sealed appliance -- ignoring, for the time being, the cases where the

Before MJR can chime in (with the same, time-tested-true answer each
time)...

It's *all* software at some point...how it's packaged is somewhat
unimportant,
although I'll take a command line interface, where I can get into the
guts
and make changes, improvements, or tailoring to fit my environment over
a point-click-and-hope interface and "sealed" appliance that either fits
in my environment or it doesn't.

Why pay for the seck-sy, pretty "appliance," if you don't have to?
(Other than
because some vendor has the ear of mgmt)