Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Multiple firewalls from different manufactureres

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:06:55 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, R. DuFresne wrote:

Because changes are made without any real audit taking place, and no
overseeing done by the security group, what we catch are those changes
that break application connectivity.  What we totally miss are those
changes that break security.

Indeed, that's one of the reasons I see great promise in Algorithmic
Security's Firewall Analyzer product[1].  That's also why I believe that
configuration review is vastly superior to penetration testing.  A
pen-test *may* uncover a generic hole, but isn't likely to find a specific
one, while validating the configuration should always work.

Ruleset changes over time should be documented, that's the only way to get
good accountability.

While I'm mentioning products, Clavister's[2] client forces version
control on config filesyou to keep for strong audit.  It's a text file, so
diff works fine for change reporting..

Shimming in security is tough enough, without having to try and shim it in
without taking it into consideration at the beginning of the project,
mostly due to lack of a top down management approach towards security,
which despite all the press claiming security is growing by leaps and
bounds, remains far too common in this state of the game.

Well, it's top-down in that they now say "We need security so we don't get
thrown in jail!" ;)

The interesting thing to me is that the regulatory environment may force
real discipline in organizations where firewall rule changes were known,
executed and understood by only one person- the one making the changes.
The "good old days" of "Hold on a sec- ok it's updated" may be vanishing
more quickly than we're all prepared for.

Paul
[1] Disclaimer:  I'm on their Technical Advisory Board.  Contact me
off-list for further discussion.
[2] Disclaimer:  I use their firewall at home.  Contact Mike off-list for
further discussion ;)