Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Multiple firewalls from different manufactureres

From: "Keith A. Glass" <salgak () speakeasy net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:00:03 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph S D Yao [mailto:jsdy () center osis gov]
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 04:00 PM
To: 'Marcus J. Ranum'
Cc: firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Multiple firewalls from different manufactureres

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 08:39:27AM -0500, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
MHawkins () TULLIB COM wrote:
"commodity pricing on firewalls"

Am I the only one who fainted when I saw this?

I got my firewall in a box of Corn Flakes... It works pretty well, too!

mjr.

No!  All this time I had thought yours just spilled out of your fingers
full-grown.  ;-)

As Paul said, TANSTAAFFW (there ain't no such thing as a free firewall)
- but what you spend and where and how differs from firewall to
firewall.

Yes and no.  You CAN put up a decent firewalling solution using commodity computers, especially the 1-U units (Dell
1700-series, HP Proliant DL360s, etc. . ) and either Linux, Solaris (now that it's free) or some flavor of BSD, and the
firewall of your choice.  I just wish some of the vendors would allow their FW solution to be available outside the
"appliance" vehicle (Yes, I'm talking about Symantec and Secure Computing. . .)

When I was running the firewalls at SEC's EDGAR project, we used a mix of Gauntlets and FW-1, all running on various
flavors of Sun hardware, from old Ultra 5's and 10's to new SunFire 480's (we were in an upgrade cycle, 18 months ago.
. )

Keith
Merrily running systems at Fort Belvoir. . .