Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: iso 17799

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:40:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, R. DuFresne wrote:

Though it hasn't been updated in sometime, I bet the firewalls-faq is
still available online.

I've been trying to get changes made on and off for about 3 years now.
Put a fork in it, it's dead Jim.

There are tons of books on firewalling and basic security techniques, I
must have 15 or 20 in my bookcase, some in the second edition like
"Firewalls and Internet Security" by Cheswick, Bellovin, and Rubin.

<Plug> You should have Wes's new book, it's a good read. </Plug>
<Plug2> I've got a chapter in the upcoming Hardening Linux. </Plug2>

<Rant> Neither the new editions of Firewalls and Internet Security, nor
Building Internet Firewalls have this list mentioned in them, even though
at least some of the authors of both books are on the list!</Rant>

Most *nix's have various documents explaining how to setup varioous
security components, man pages, README's, FAQ's.

Yes, but a lot of that is out of date.

So, here's the thing- if you think that what's out there isn't good
enough, and you have the time and expertise to fix at least some of it-
then send me a note off-list, and we'll see what sort of interest there is
in fixing it.

Paul