Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: iso 17799

From: Dana Nowell <DanaNowell () cornerstonesoftware com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:33:34 -0400

The stuff I'm talking about is things like, I have to punch a hole through
a VPN from office A to office B for a protocol I've never seen before.  Gee
I bet with the collective experience of the list, someone else has.  I
COULD search google (try TSE protocol someday), get 40,000 hits the first N
pages of which are patches, marketing drivel, and unrelated hits, so I have
to start the 'refine the query' game.  OR I could email the list and get N
hundred private responses or create a thread that 90% of the list isn't
interested in (like this one by now;).  Or we COULD start to collect that
stuff in one place.  Does the technique change, no.  I still weigh my
options and decide if I need the protocol, I still look at alternatives (or
ask the list).  But in the end, whatever I pick, I still need to either buy
a doo-dad and click a button OR build some firewall rules for a protocol I
have no clue about.

I don't like the click and sleep firewall strategy.  So I'm going to learn
about the protocol.  I'm not going to take anyone's word exclusively, I am
going to do my own testing.  But I'm not beyond taking a helping hand if it
is available as a starting point.  I'd also like to avoid spending half an
hour playing 'refine the query' with google.

OK, I don't like any of my options, so I need to put together a risk memo
to get the project either cleaned up or canned.  So being a newbie, I
haven't done one before, I'd like a sample.  Great, I know this list where
people probably have hundreds kicking about, I email.  No one wants to post
the doc to the list because it is long and/or not really interesting to the
bulk of the list, so I get private email.  Cool, problem solved, I'm happy.
 Now, enter the next newbie in need of the same sample ...

So I guess I agree with you, things don't change, and they should.  Either
that or I have this thing for windmills and horses. ;)