Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Spam (or, how to buy Cheap Korean Cellphones :-)

From: Chris Blask <blask () protegonetworks com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 10:07:38 -0800

At 10:54 PM 2/5/2004 -0500, Rod Gilchrist wrote:
On Thursday, February 5, 2004, at 07:28  PM, Chris Blask wrote:
.d.
Cmail was a good shot and a year later it still seems to address all the issues.
(If you want to read the white paper, I can email it to you.)

Its primary problem I think is that the audience needs to get up to speed a bit at a time and it is quite a big first bite. No point in solving secure opt-out in step
one.

(BTW, JamSpam was stunningly good at illuminating the spam problem
from all of email's participant's points of view. I think a lot of the conversations
happening between the big guys today started at those meetings.)

It was (is?) a productive forum in many ways, I suppose I just bear some guilt that it'd couldn't have been made to do more.'

If you are going to start at the beginning and do things in tiny bites you need to
start with identity. People kind of 'get' that.

Then you need to add two tweaks....

        1) Relax identity far enough to make it practical
        2) Fix revocation

1) is the main point, imho. My earlier comment about "boiling the ocean" refers to the resistance by the PKI community to focus on anything that is less than "protect me from the NSA" level identity. That's not the focus that solves this problem, as Rod explains.

There are a couple of straight forward fixes for revocation.

You only get into deep trouble if you adopt the whole set of assumptions behind PKI. PKI is a general solution that is intended to work over long (i.e. infinite) periods of time. Relax that set
of assumptions and revocation is solvable.

For email identity all you need is a key pair that's valid long enough for email to arrive at its destination. A much easier problem than what PKI's revocation attempts to solve.

> Anyone else see - if in fact this is the right forum - any solution to spam that doesn't involve fixing the identity problem?

There's the actual question for the list: If it ain't ID, what *is* the shape of the solution?

Yes identity is the first and most basic issue. But almost everyone gets hung up on perfect identity as per PKI (i.e. individual identity right down to name, address and social insurance number).

You don't really need that at all to fix spam.

For spam its enough to be labeled as 'an AOL user whose mail mail is subject to AOL's terms of use that require that the user never send more that 100 emails in an hour and that AOL has taken effective
action to enforce that behavior'.

From an email MTA's point of view that translates to 'a message that is signed by the mail source that has public key 'X' and whose past behavior I see from reputation store 'Y' rarely includes spamming
should be passed on without passing though my aggressive spam filter'.

So what's going to do spam in? I think a solution is coming. There are at least three separate solutions out there that have relaxed identity into the practical realm; SMPTi, 'Sender Permitted From' and 'Domain Keys' (Google can fill in the details of all of these). The first two use IP addresses as identity, which has serious limitations when messages are relayed (which is kind of basic in SMTP). Domain Keys
(from Yahoo) on the other hand is a home run.

With Domain Keys, the owner of a DNS domain generates a public/private key pair, signs all email messages originating (via SMTP extension headers) in that domain with the private key and publishes the public key via DNS. Since the publishing mechanism is out of band with respect to SMPT, no
changes are required to the SMPT protocol.

Details haven't been published yet, but revocation could be handled by publishing two public keys via DNS (old and new) and a few days after the last email signed with the old key was sent, trashing
the old key.

So basically, Chris's grandmother doesn't need to get a certificate; her ISP worries about the key pair and bounces all the email she sends that's addressed to all 115 of her grandchildren at the same time. People publishing news letters need to be savvy enough to generate a public/private key
pair for their own mailer. And nobody pays Verisign...

If your private key gets stolen, your reputation (as measured by a DCC-like reputation server) gets trashed and you need to make a new key pair and start building a reputation again.

So, we're winning I think. Much further ahead than last year.

- Rod

BTW, I'm not on this list. Hopefully Chris will relay as required.

Chris Blask
Vice President, Business Development
Protego Networks Inc.

(1) 416-358-9885 - Direct/Mobile
(1) 408 262 5220 - HQ
(1) 408 262 5280 - Fax

blask () protegonetworks com
www.protegonetworks.com

"The first purpose-built appliance for Real-Time Security Threat Mitigation"