Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: About Port Forwarding, Apache and Firewall Rules

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:10:54 -0400 (EDT)

"Jeremiah Cornelius" <jeremiah () nur net> wrote:

[snip]

His "Terms of Service" are a minor contract,

IANAL.  Please elucidate on this "minor contract" point.  Again: IANAL,
but I always understood that a contract is a contract is a contract.

                                             and may well have been
unilaterally ammended by the ISP after he became a customer.
[snip]

That may well be.  In which case one presumes his ISP wouldn't be
taking measures such as blocking port 80 to him?

I don't think there is much of an ethical dilimma in helping this fellow
out, as long as he is aware that he is risking his service.

Agreed: No ethical dilemma at all.  It would clearly be wrong.

If, in his locale, he can't get an equivalent ISP without such an onerous
restriction, then his ISP is likely an illegal monopoly.

We don't know that.  I'm not sure it would matter even if we did.  This
is firewall-wizards, not alt.activism or whatever.

                                                          They block the
ability to serve port 80?  They are out of RFC compliance in providing
Internet services.

Educate me: Which RFC would that be?

                    You probably can't get an uneducated court to agree -
but I'd claim that what they are providing doesn't meet the definition of
"Big-I" Internet, and are guilty of contratual bad-faith and
misrepresentation.

Being in the high-tech industry for more years than I'd care to count,
being specifically in systems & network administration for well over a
decade, being somewhat conversant with how the law works, and even
considering I'm a libertarian by nature (is that educated enough?):
You'd not likely get even me to agree, if the TOS explicitly forbade
servers/services.

There is no God-given, natural law or Constitutional right to Internet
access.  What there is are for-profit companies (mostly) that provide
various levels of Internet access, for a fee, under contractual
agreement.  If I sign a contract that says "No, I'll not run
servers/services," then that's the contract.

Btw: *Most* DSL and cable broadband providers do have SOHO/business
packages that allow the running of services and give one static IP
addresses.  Many areas of the country have alternate (usually DSL)
broadband providers that can supply business-class connectivity.  Of
course: These options all come at a price.

Jim