Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

About Port Forwarding, Apache and Firewall Rules

From: Servie Platon <servie_tech () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 06:58:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I would like to host own personal family website at
home. I have a linksys firewall/router and have placed
the apache/postfix server on the DMZ port of linksys.
I have installed only the required services and
packages, compiled apache from source among other
stuffs. I need to further bastionize my machine with
this groups help.

Due to the limitation of my cable ISP, which blocks
ports 80 I could not make my personal website
available. The workaround is to configure port
forwarding on linksys and configure apache to listen
on a port other than 80. My family/home website works
fine but before I connect the cable, I need to ask you
firewall wizards and gurus out there.

My questions are the following:

1. Since I used the port forwarding feature on my
linksys and assigned a non standard port for httpd to
listen. Would this be a security problem for my
bastion host and private network considering apache
should always be listening on port 80 only?

2. If so, what configuration or firewall rules should
I put in place on my linksys router? I just configured
the router to do port forwarding only. I am uncertain
if there are other stuffs that I should consider on my
linksys to protect my other two computers at home?

3. What is the best or most ideal iptables rules for
my apache? I just need the functionality of  remote
access and administration. I know the best way for
this is via SSH. But what are the rules that will
allow me to enter and do system changes and at the
same time being as restrictive as possible?

4. And finally, what other security measures should I
enforce on my bastion host so that I can sleep better
at night?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Servie