Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: About Port Forwarding, Apache and Firewall Rules

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:52:50 -0400 (EDT)

Mark <firewalladmin () bellsouth net> wrote:

Hi Jim:

I think (hope) you were just pointing out the irony of the request by
servie_tech. I must confess that I totally overlooked the paradox in the
post itself.

Indeed I was.

             However, if I may insert a little something without
starting a flame (as I mean no offense)

/me takes a preemtive chill pill...

                                        I would like to quote a very
famous man from the world's all-time best seller:
"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone..."
In other words, haven't we all been there done that?
[snip]

Sinned, in general :)?  Or purposefully set out to violate (one of) my
ISP's TOS'?  The former: Certainly.  The latter: No.

Yes, I was merely pointing-out the irony of the request.  But to
address this issue of running "services" on a broadband connection
where it's clearly a violation of the contract to which one has agreed
with their provider: Sure, people do it all the time.  I wouldn't.
First because it would be a violation of a contractual agreement, but
also because such services are not reliable.  I figure if you're going
to run a service, there's no point unless it has a certain degree of
reliability.  Even if it's just a "personal" web site.  Decent web
hosting can be had for relatively cheap.  No need to abuse a
$30-$40/month residential broadband connection.

I've seen it argued, by residential broadband customers, that "my ISP
doesn't really care."  Maybe sometimes they don't.  But I suspect any
ISP that's gone to the trouble to block inbound port 80 really means
it.  And I really think firewall-wizards ought not be actively helping
somebody violate their ISP's TOS.  What's next: "Can you help me set up
a secure 'bot net?"

Maybe I'm old-fashioned.  Or maybe I'm just anal.

Jim