Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Home Environment Cisco

From: Jason Ostrom <justiceguy () pobox com>
Date: 29 May 2003 18:33:00 -0500

I'm unclear on what this Cisco product is being used for.  Is the Layer
1 connectivity already established to your Dad's ISP via Cable Modem,
DSL, or some other dedicated circuit?  Are you proposing to put the
router/firewall on the outside and connect it directly to your ISP, or
do you have a device already in place and then want to place a
Firewall/router in between this and the Internal network?

First, think about how you want to Internetwork these devices together.
And second, you mentioned you want to get good with "cisco."  Would you
rather get adept at the PIX OS or Cisco IOS?  It's a subtle difference,
but something to consider.

If you want a firewall and you want to get good with Cisco, Wesley
suggested the PIX 501, which is a good choice.  Keep in mind that you
may not be able to connect it directly to your ISP, given the supported
hardware interfaces on the PIX.

If you want to get good with Cisco software in general (Cisco IOS), I
would suggest the 1600 or 1700 series.  You can use it to learn NAT, VPN
tunnels, IP QoS, ACLs.  These are the traditional SOHO access routers
that you could use to Interconnect to your ISP, depending on Layer 1
topology, and still provide some Security functionality.  Also, don't
get the 2500, as suggested, not if you plan on using a Cisco support
contract to learn.  The 2500 is end-of-life / not supported.  It's cheap
on eBay, but you pay a price in that you wouldn't get support through
traditional means such as Cisco.

Jason Ostrom