Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Benefit of firewall over NAT-only 'protected' network

From: "Bill Royds" <Bill () royds net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 19:24:09 -0400

I use a D-link cable modem swith at home. I have looked at it fairly
carefully as a firewall and it seems to be reasonable for an outbound only
network,
It has a default "deny all incoming, allow all outgoing" rule set, but does
allow one to tighten that by switching to deny all out with exceptions in a
table. It logs attempts to connect from outside (but only to a ring buffer
that overwrites earliest entries). It handles FTP  properly and can act as a
DHCP client to ISP and DHCP server to LAN.
  For $90CAN, it is a heck of a lot safer than connecting directly to
Internet or even a box that just does NAT.
Of course, you should also be running other security like host based NIDS
and virus scanners on the hosts behind the box. I was running Snort behind
it but only found one or two alerts a day and then only on traffic that was
allowed through (IRC).