Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Home Environment Cisco

From: "Nathan" <nathan.grandbois () cerdant com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:22:07 -0400

List members,

I seek your advice regarding which Cisco router to choose, if any. I know
this is a firewall list, but many of you have experience with Cisco
products. So here goes...I was talking with my dad and he wants me to set up
a network for him at home. I have networking experience, just not with any
cisco products. I recommended he get just a 50 dollar router from Bestbuy or
something but his company is going to give him a lot of money to subsidise
his working from home and he wants something expensive, I think just to
spend their money but who cares. I see this as an opportunity to learn cisco
and help my dad. He has a Solaris ultra 60, and two win98 workstations at
home he wants to be able to communicate, as well as have access to the
internet (NAT). I can worry about the details of the internal network, so my
question is, which cisco router should I get for this purpose. I really know
nothing about Cisco, and don't feel like searching through all the different
models and prices if someone know the "base" cisco router. Any suggestions
would be nice, I can do the homework from there, I just need some model
numbers to look at.

_nathan