Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Home Environment Cisco

From: "Bob Wanamaker - Avant Systems, Inc." <rlw () avantsystems com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 21:57:02 -0400

Greetings.

I'd strongly second the PIX 501.  I have one sitting in the box to get
installed for me for the fifth time; every time I get one config'd, a friend
ends up taking it for his/her home network, buying it, and I buy another
one.

Sure, you can create an ACL - but that's only part of what a firewall does.
You'll be giving up stateful packet inspection; fixups; etc.  Plus an OS and
appliance that was designed to be a firewall.

You really don't need the routing features that a Cisco router will give
you - you're routing will be a simple default route.

Support contracts are pretty reasonable on a 501 - in the neighborhood of
150 bucks for a couple of years, and it includes TAC support, where you'll
start off with a low level tech and fight your way through the food chain.
However, I'm not sure that you'll need a contract - I'm willing to bet that
I can give you a sample config that you can modify and have running in a
couple of minutes.

I'm a big fan of the PIX, in case you can't tell.

Bob