Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Benefit of firewall over NAT-only 'protected' network

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 09:05:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 28 May 2003 ark () eltex net wrote:

nuqneH,

What's wrong with irc? It is a good communication tool.

It's a great communication tool- however, as I stated, it's the #1 control
vector for trojaned machines.  Since 99% of the example I used, small
offices don't have *any business reason* to do IRC, it's perfectly
legitimate to block it for those users by default.

Even "out of the box" irc is not more insecure than widely-used ICQ.
I even encourage users to use corporate IRC server as generic
messaging tool. It is far better than using ICQ (with mirabilis servers
usually!) as _really many_ companies that have no own IM system do.

It's not about IRC as an attack vector, it's about IRC as a control vector
and the small number of people who have a business case to use it from
work.  I use IRC, and I even use IRC from work- but I don't go out via
6667 from the office directly.  In fact, most large companies would do
good to block and log outbound TCP 6667, some of the largest botnets I've
seen have been on sites that allow all TCP outbound.  I don't know about
you, but I'd really rather not see people try to clean up an internal worm
infection, deal with child pornography on what could be business-critical
servers, and have RIAA/MPAA filing suits left and right because they let
out a port that _they_neither_need_,_nor_use.

Regards,

Paul