Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Benefit of firewall over NAT-only 'protected' network

From: "Hugh Blandford" <hugh () island net au>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 15:25:49 +1000

Hi Paul et al.,

I recognise what you are saying, but what I was trying to understand was,
are the low-end appliance 'firewalls' really providing much more security
than NAT?  In a small office/home situation if people are going to use IRC,
they would just reconfigure their firewall to do so, after all they own it.
I was just trying to get all the 'block xyz outbound' issues out of the way.

Can NAT sessions be hijacked or somehow abused to give access to the
internal network?  There is the case of visiting a hostile website and
"inviting in" some problematic programs, but apart from that are the
appliance based firewalls doing more than that?

Thanks,

Hugh