Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: pix firewall - failover and logging issues

From: Scot Hartman <shartman () inflow com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:21:38 -0700

I agree with Ken's summary of how the PIX handles the failover.

It uses the Serial connection for chasis information only and needs the LAN
connection if you want to make the HA stateful (not enough bandwidth
available via serial).  I typically use a dedicated crossover cable between
the firewalls for this.

In the 6.2 code you now have the option to send the chassis information over
a LAN interface as well and ditch the serial cable.  You could use the same
interface the state information is going over.  I personally still run the
chasis information over the serial cable mostly because I have the serial
cable anyway and it'll still perform HA correctly even if one of the
state-link NICs dies.  But, hey, it's an option.

Make sure the firewall's can see each other at layer 2 on ALL interfaces.
They heartbeat all active interfaces on ip protocol 105.

For syslog, that's how we're logging via an inside interface.  They
currently only support a global logging level so you can't log a specific
line of your ACL that I've seen.  They're mentioning adding comments for
individual ACL lines in 6.3 so maybe logging per line is coming too.
Cranking the logging up doesn't seem to affect the firewall's CPU too bad,
but a busy firewall can sure hammer the inside link if you only have a small
pipe your trying to use to connect back to a central logging server ;)

As for the level of code, upgrade it.  6.1(1) is definately out of date and
in need of changing...
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/pix-multiple-vuln-pub.shtml
and I seem to remember that version was vulnerable to an SNMP malformed
packet DOS, too.

Scot Hartman

    -  Douglas Adams