Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Open Source Port Tracking

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 20:35:33 -0500 (EST)

You can do some of this with your rulebase, but setting up accounting
rules.   To get the stats one then does an iptables -l ...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Small, Jim wrote:

Right now on my network, everything goes in and out through my IPFilter
firewall running on FreeBSD.  I would like to implement a good Open Source
package that keeps track of the total amount of packets and bytes including
on a per port basis.

So a report might be something (text or gui) like this:
12,048,219 packets for a total of 5975916624 bytes
Port  Packets Bytes
9     12              2496
20    800190  ...
21    129900  ...
22    (etc...)

The idea being, I would like to see which ports are being used and how much
traffic is going over/through them.  I've been trying ntop, but it doesn't
track all ports.  I know IPFilter has a count option, but it would be
tedious to set up 65,535x2 rules for all TCP/UDP ports.  Could someone
recommend something else?

Thanks,
   <> Jim

--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!