Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: tunnel vs open a hole

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () center osis gov>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:24:21 -0400

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 03:34:07PM -0400, Carroll, Shawn wrote:
What if coders were taught primarily by other coders, and get in the habit of doing things right, watched closely,
and corrected.  Like someone who has learned to make fine furniture.  They wouldn't think of using the wrong tool,
and are generally incapable of producing crap and letting it out the door.  If there were this same ethic with
programmers, and the same model of training, what do you think the state of software would look like today?

Have you bought furniture lately?

The first thing is for people to learn that there is such a thing as an
ETHIC!  In school, you learn how to get away with stuff.  Outside of
school, people take shortcuts all the time, try to get away with doing
too little.  The first line of defence against this is for a whole
generation of parents to bring up their children to realize that what
we have is not due to our own greatness, but that everything is a gift,
and that we should be humbly thankful for those gifts - and try to give
"back" by doing the VERY BEST THEY CAN at EVERYTHING; by acting in a
right and moral and ethical manner in all things; and by treating all
other people as if they were God, to honour the spark of divinity that
flares in even the least of these, and to honour their Maker.

*sigh*

Sorry, this thread is bringing out the grumbles in me.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () center osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support                                     EMT-B