Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: tunnel vs open a hole

From: "Sloane, David" <DSloane () vfa com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:48:04 -0400

This is a good point, but I think the prevalence of this mindset is
diminishing.

The broader problem is that most software developers and software projects
produce single-customer software.  By "customer" I mean one
organization/company/government that pays for the project.  These projects
generate substantial revenue for software consulting firms and employ
"in-house" developers.

Open-source tools won't change the mindset of project managers at Mike's
Insurance or Tim's Manufacturing - the business constraints placed on
software development will take longer to adjust.

The quality of *distributed* software should improve with the growth of open
source, both through competition and OSS adoption.  The quality of custom
software has a lot to do with the larger business culture it inhabits.
Don't forget that IT is a relatively new development.  Software development
as a subset of business is 50-60 years old (with a generous definition of
"software).  Accounting, by contrast, is roughly five hundred years old.
Manufacturing is roughly three hundred years old.

Software, and IT in general, seems to be in the
awkward-adolescence/Wild-West/after-war-before-peace stage.

-David Sloane