Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Too Paranoid?

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:36:31 -0400

2002-09-29-20:45:45 Dave Piscitello:
Your sales rep can often be your champion in your vendor's shop.

Second this comment; I've gotten sales reps, and also field circus
types, lined up on my side helping me to pitch a case to their home
engineering teams. One more than one occaion I've gotten a happy
result.

In one case, a vendor of an appliance-type box had left a debugging
port open, and the first concession that the field circus dude
extracted from the home office was to get a custom image for us with
that port closed; when I further explained that they really needed
to get this closed in all their shipping product to protect their
corporate reputation, he saw the point and agreed to continue
pitching the case. Dunno how that one will work out in the end.

But the key is to find everyone who can be made to see a benefit in
working for better security practices and explain the issues to
them. Vendor customer reps are in an interesting position, astride
the fence as it were, but in healthy companies they don't have a
problem with acting as a customer advocate.

-Bennett