Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Too Paranoid?

From: Flemming Laugaard <flemming () laugaard dk>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 23:07:43 +0200

Hi Jim

vendor of this lash-up wanted me to punch a hole through the
firewall for port 443.

If you allow this configuration, you are unable to analyze what's
going on. You have no way of analyzing the port 443 traffic. The provider
_must_ be able to use a proxy. If not, the application is not worth
getting on your network, Security-wise.

The provider must :

Document their application
Document the computer configuration
Document the security measures taken to secure the system
Prove to you that the system is secure
Explain their (imho) poor platform choice

If this server really is needed in your company, I would place it on
a seperate interface on the firewall, and be _really_ strict in the
firewall's rulebase.

Hope you understand what I wrote. I'm not a native english speaking person.

--
Kind regards
Flemming Laugaard