Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Too Paranoid?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 12:25:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Jim Seymour wrote:

Hi,

Hi Jim,

it.  Proprietary server software runs on this server and proprietary
software to talk to the server runs on one-or-more MS-Win desktops.
They use ActiveX controls.  The server, in turn, must communicate

What protocols does the desktop<-> server stuff need?  It seems to me that
the best bet would be to put the 2k server outside the firewall on a
service network and allow the clients to go out and access it, but this
assumes some level of control over the client<->server protocol (if it's
just TCP-based one-off stuff, I think you're still better off, if it needs
NetBIOS or RPC, then it's probably just going to suck no matter what.)

Here's the problem.  Certain third-party modules the server software
uses to communicate to other servers on the 'net don't seem to be
able to deal with the proxy server on the firewall.  They're given
the IP address and port number, but they won't work that way.  The
vendor of this lash-up wanted me to punch a hole through the
firewall for port 443.

Even if they tunneled well, I'd still want the thing cordoned off from my
internal network and forced to talk nicely with the specific desktop
clients.

I've had this fight with personnel/benifits systems before, and once we
got to the "it needs these two TCP ports" place, isolating it wasn't all
that difficult.

Paul