Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Securing a Linux Firewall

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:18:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Carson Gaspar wrote:

Turn off everything you are certain you don't require.
Actually remove the executables, also. (remove the rpm).

OK - as someone who seems to represent the "remove the executables" camp,
can you explain your reasoning? I've never been able to understand _why_
removing files buys you anything?

I'm not Fred, but:

It buys you something because rote attacks happen.  For instance, removing
(or moving) cmd.exe would have stopped a fair ammount of IIS worm
propogation- like stopping Code Red for instance.

(See my previous post for my strategy - castrate all priveleged binaries,
turn off all services, and turn logging to high)

Privelige isn't necessary in all cases- some attacks work well at a semi
or unpriveliged level.

Paul