Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Securing a Linux Firewall

From: "Marc DVer" <mdver () whiteeagletox com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:37:38 -0400

I have a computer set up for the exclusive use as a gateway/firewall running
IPChains.  I would like to know if I can safely shut down the rpc.statd
service.  According to the man page, " It is used by the NFS file locking
service, rpc.lockd, to implement lock recovery when the NFS  server machine
crashes and reboots."  Since I am not using NFS (or at least I believe I am
not; the firewall is the only *nix computer on the network, and isn't used
for file sharing) can I safely turn this off?  I have read that turning off
unneeded services is needed to secure a linux box, which is doubly a concern
with a firewall.

Sincerely,
Marc DVer
White Eagle Laboratories, Inc.