Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Securing a Linux Firewall

From: Bruce Platt <Bruce () ei3 com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:22:21 -0400

Everything on the box that you don't need is a potential way for someone to
grab control of an executable which can cause damage.  Just because the
image isn't executed during init processing doesn't mean that someone can't
start it up some other way.

Fred is a belt-and-suspenders type, and it pays here.

If you don't need the executable, get rid of it.  Even though it seems
harmless today.  There might be an exploit tomorrow.  Besides doing so gives
you the added advantage of having more available disk space :-)  (OK, so I'm
showing my age).