Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Securing a Linux Firewall

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:16:13 -0400 (EDT)

Rebuilt your kernel to turnoff all the little gizmos and addons you do not
require.  This is where nfs can be turned off.  It will be under;

# Filesystems
CONFIG_NFS_FS=n

You will perhaps have to manually edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 to clean up the
nfs and portmapper stuffs.  comment out what's not needed, or make a
backup of the file and hard edit out what is not required for your setup.

Become familiar with the kernel buid options, try mane menuconfig and seek
the help button on each param under the kernel build.  Additionally, get
to know the rc. files well, especially the rc.inet<1,2> files, not to
mention the firewall rules loading rc.    There are ways to block
portmapper on linux systems, but, it requires a lot of work getting to
know where and to which ports this flexable little beatie is going to load
on successive boots.  If one's not going to use it, and a firewall should
not require it be used, you are better off turning it off as you are
seeking to do.

You might wish to hardcode into the kernel those bits  you require and
avoind the loadable modules stuffs, it makes for a bigger kernel, but,
eliminates the ablity of anyone that might hack your box from being able
to load malicious modules into the system.  I believe I've seen this
described as building a "monolithic" kernel...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne