Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

VPN over Wireless (Was Re: "802.1x"?)

From: Lorens Kockum <firewall-wizards-20021015 () tagged lorens org>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:37:28 +0100

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 08:52:47PM -0500, R. DuFresne wrote:

And though it maybe redundant, this popped up today, informative read:
   After careful consideration of wireless security
   issues and how 802.1X addresses those issues, it was decided that CSU
   should not incorporate 802.1X into its wireless network at this time.

I've been interested in setting up a wireless LAN for some time,
both office and home, Unix machines only, and since I do not
trust the security built into wireless protocols I'm looking at
creating multiple VPNs using ssh, at the expense of bandwidth.

My topologies are basically stars, I'm thinking VPN/DHCP server
on a firewall that has one wireless interface and one interface
on the copper wire, one RFC1918 class specifically for the "raw"
wireless network, and another for the secured network.

Does anyone here have any comments on/experience with this kind
of solution? What bandwidth can one expect?

Any practical ideas on (Unix) client being able to move
seamlessly back and forth between copper and wireless (IOW
keeping same IP)? Easiest would be to keep the VPN over the
copper, right?

--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum