Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN over Wireless (Was Re: "802.1x"?)

From: Kevin Steves <stevesk () pobox com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 13:39:45 -0800

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:48:56PM +0100, Mikael Olsson wrote:
There was some latency involved with tunnelling PPP over ssh, but
it was still acceptable for our user base.

Just a helpful hint: turning off the nagle delay algorithm in the
SSH client as well as in the SSH server can do wonders for latency
problems involved with tunneling things over SSH.

Doing nagle delay on top of TCP sessions that already do nagle
delay themselves involves quite a bit of "second-guessing", which
results in unwanted delays that you experience as "lag bursts"
for interactive things.

While there may be some Nagle issues lingering, we do disable Nagle
for the port forwarding endpoints.  This change was commited to
current over 9 months ago and was in the 3.4 release.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/ssh/channels.c?rev=1.169&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/ssh/channels.c.diff?r1=1.168&r2=1.169