Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: "802.1x"?

From: "CTA" <cta () hcsin net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:36:02 -0500

<bigger>From:                   Mikael Olsson
<<mikael.olsson () clavister com>

To:                     fw-wiz <<firewall-
wizards () honor icsalabs com>

Subject:                [fw-wiz] "802.1x"?

Date sent:              Sat, 14 Dec 2002 12:52:47 +0100

Hullo,

Could someone clueful please take a minute or two and give
us all

the "techecutive summary" of 802.1x?  I've been trying to
piece

together what exactly it's supposed to be doing, but
everything

I've come across so far has been so buzzword-laden, it's
been

impossible to glean real clue from.

All I've understood is that it uses PPP EAP for authentication

(by, for instance, talking to a radius server) - Which box is
the

"EAP server"?  I would assume that it's the

  endpoing ("base station"), but docs seem to suggest that

  it just gets passed through to some sever in the
background? -

Then there's something about key exchange.... (?) - Is there

built-in crypto layer, or is that supposed to be

  done by something else?

- Does it rely on known-good crypto, or are they inventing

  own algorithms again?

- Is it any good? :)

primary components in a
typical 802.x Wireless Access POP topology:

The Client /User (CU) such as Computers, PALMS, other
802 capable devices, the Authenticator or wireless
Access Point (AP), and the Authentication Server
(RADIUS).

***However, I believe that one should consider a
Bastion/FW/NAT as a fourth and essential component.
This also reduces the threat of disclosure integrity or
accessibility from a Man-In-The-Middle Attack, which is
one of the vulnerabilities of Key-based cryptography.
Mirowave (MASER) jamming (you can build one for
about $99) is another significant DDOS threat, but I will
save that for another time.***

The Client/User (CU) communicates via 900Mhz – 2 GHz
 RF to wireless Access Point (AP). The AP is typically
(or  should be in IMO) installed behind a Bastion Host
FW /  NAT Box, this way the Bastion/NAT can control
the  distribution of Internet IP, or specific IEFT 1918
address  space for controlled access to a VPN/Intranet,
i.e. access  the  “Network”.

Typically, the CU communicates authentication
information with the AP, which forwards the information
to a RADIUS server to authenticate and authorize access
to the Network by the CU. The authentication information
between the CU AP and RADIUS is exchanged using the
EAP/TLS method. EAP/TLS is a Certificate Based
authentication method, which uses dynamic rotating 128
bit WEP keys for data encryption.

The CU must be able to do EAP/TLS, which Micro$oft
WinXP is able to do. Beware of the flaw in softee’s
implementation of x509. I think this was patched, but not
sure.

The AP more or less is a forwarder of the authentication
information and its primary existence is to act as a
wireless converter and router/gateway.

The RADIUS server typically interfaces with a Certificate
 Server / Key Encryption application such as OpenSSL
manage the cryptography and certs.

The Bastion Host keeps, for the most part, the good fenced
 in and bad fenced out. A honeypot or two is a good
addition as well. It gives a place for the kids to play.

That’s a quick view IMHO…

bernie

cta () hcsin net

bhH

“I don’t ware no stinken hat… Bald Hatless and
Hacking…”

Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB

Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK,
Sweden

Phone: +46 (0)660 29 92 00   Mobile: +46 (0)70 26 222 05

Fax: +46 (0)660 122 50       WWW: http://www.clavister.com

<nofill>
bernie|bhH
cta () hcsin net