Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: concerning ~el8 / project mayhem

From: Nate Campi <nate () campin net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:04:48 -0700

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 07:05:46PM +0000, Tina Bird wrote:

1) Putting my own and other folks' personal biases aside:  >is< network
security really a compelling expense for a financially-strapped
organization?  Clearly the standard dollars-and-sense risk analysis isn't
a compelling argument, cos' it's been made for years, and the decision
makers are literally not buying it.

Security is one of the building blocks needed to create a reliable
network infrastructure. Those who build network services without
security in mind will pay more in the long run. Reinstalled operating
systems, lost data and damaged reputations translate to financial loss,
and often denial of service.

Not everyone who omits security pays a high price, but quite often they
will learn their lesson. I don't really think there's much to do or
change. Offer good security services and clients will find you, and when
they come they will be ready and willing to accept your advice.
--
"The more I C, the less I see."